Poisoned Meatballs Raise Awareness For Dog Owners

poison-meatballsIf you are a dog owner who lives in or near the city of Gunbarrel, Colorado, there are recent news stories that you need to be aware of. They concern the health and well being of your dog, and if outside influences and people are not enough of a threat, there are pitfalls inside your own home that can hurt or even kill your best friend.

The Story

Channel 9 News broke the story in April of this year, and it tells of poisoned meatballs being found in a dog park within Gunbarrel on Buckingham Road. The Office of Animal Control found several meatballs that were packed with rat poison. Three dogs that ate them became ill, but there could be many other dogs that are affected.

This has led to a good deal of anger and fear in the residents of the area. To warn the residents of the potential danger, the Office of Animal Control has posting signs in the park, but many of the residents are still too frightened to take their dogs to the park. Those meatballs are currently being tested for DNA in order to try and find the people who are responsible

The news reports also urged anyone who has walked their pet in the park recently to check their dog for signs of poisoning. These signs are pale gums, a lack of appetite, trouble breathing, and fatigue. If you notice any of these seek immediate help from your veterinarian.

Poison Dangers Within Your Home

It may be one of your favorite treats, but it can be toxic to your dog – and that treat is chocolate. If you leave it laying around, chances are your dog may get a hold of it and eat it. Many dogs, especially the larger breeds may recover all on their own, but the smaller the dog the more they are at risk for a bad reaction.

If this happens to you and your dog, first all, do not panic. Get the chocolate away from the dog and look in their mouth to make sure there is not a wrapper they can choke on. Next, deduce just how much chocolate they have ingested. Once you have a pretty good idea of just how much they have ingested, you need to think about what kind of chocolate they have eaten.

Bitter and darker chocolate is more dangerous for dogs since it has a higher concentration of compounds that can harm them. Milk chocolate and white chocolate have far less of these harmful compounds.

If you are concerned, and your dog is showing symptoms of poisoning such as an unsteady walk, discolored gums, are having trouble breathing, seizures, or conduct which is out of character for them, call a veterinarian or an animal poison control center at once, and let them know what the nature of the problem is, and how much chocolate your dog had ingested. To read more on the subject and learn more about the signs of poisoning in dogs, read this report from A-Z Vets.

Remember that smaller breeds of dogs can be at much more risk than the larger breeds. This information could mean the difference between a healthy pet, and one that gets very sick, or even dies as a result of poisoning.